Downtown Macon GA History
The Lamar consists of three adjoining buildings (552, 562 and 566 Cherry Street) all built circa 1870. The district's development began in 1823, when the town was first laid out, and its development continued into the 1940s.
Writing the Next Chapter at The Lamar
The buildings are located between Second and Third Street in downtown Macon, an area that was considered one of the greatest retail centers in the city during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Even though its stores and facades have changed over the decades, its historic charm has remained constant.
All three buildings are an excellent example of a Victorian building, which has continuously evolved while still serving its purpose over the last 150 years.
We're excited to write the next chapter of history with The Lamar!
552 CHERRY STREET
Originally a two story commercial building, it expanded to three stories circa 1908. Its brick facade was covered with metal panels during the 1960s, which have since been removed. Some of the notable commercial tenants were Hunt, Lamar and Rankin, a popular drug and dry goods firm, Alexander Blair, a prominent local architect during the late 1800s, Eads, Neel & Co., a local clothing store, Union Dry Goods, as well as many other retail stores and small businesses.
562 CHERRY STREET
Originally two stories, 562 Cherry St. was the first of the commercial block to expand to three stories circa 1887. Its facade was covered with metal panels in the 1960s, which have since been removed exposing the original brick facade. Some of the notable commercial residents were Wood-Peavy Furniture Company, Singleton, W.R. & Co., a hat and cap retailer, Abe Schwartz Hats, the Peggy Hale Store and the Diana Store, as well as many other retail stores and small businesses.
566 CHERRY STREET
Originally two stories, 566 Cherry was built as a post and beam structure with a solid masonry exterior envelope, differentiating it from load bearing brick construction of 552 and 562 Cherry Street. Beyond the H.J. Lamar & Sons Wholesale druggists, the building has been home to several physicians, pharmacies, three clothing stores and a restaurant.